Thursday, May 10, 2012

First Beds

The first crops are in! Earlier this week Mike tilled the first bed, and I planted 21 brussels sprouts seedlings and 22 cabbage seedlings. The bed was beautiful, actually, after I'd covered it with fall leaves in October. I think I overdid the amount of leaves, but they're working for now as a mulch around the edges of the bed.

Yesterday Mike tilled the second bed, and I planted two rows each of kale and bok choy. I'm excited about the kale, as I've got five varieties: Tuscan Lacinato, Dwarf Blue-Curled, White Russian, Red Russian, and Green-Curled. I've been planting Black Summer bok choy for years now; it's my all-time favorite for looks and taste, even though the China Choy variety is perfectly fine too.


The bed had extra room (how often does that happen?!), so I also put in the Copra onion plants from Fedco and all my leftover small onions from last year. We'll see what happens!

In the top photo above, you can see the garlic planted last fall, as well as a few transplanted volunteers from last year's garlic bed. I always have tons of volunteer garlic; you'd think I wouldn't need to plant any new. Actually, I haven't bought garlic for planting in ages: I just use extras from the harvest because there are so many!

No comments: